Saturday 9 April 2011

Convert ogv to wmv

Yesterday, I was trying to insert a video clip into a PowerPoint presentation. The video was recorded using recordMyDesktop under Ubuntu and is a .ogv file. PowerPoint does not support this format. So I need to convert it to either AVI or WMV format.

.ogv is one of the extensions used for files whose content use the Ogg container format. In particular, .ogv is used for video with or without sound. As PowerPoint supports AVI format and I can also play AVI file in Ubuntu, so I converted the .ogv file to .avi file using ffmpeg using the following command:

$ ffmpeg -i shutter.ogv -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec libmp3lame -sameq shutter.avi

However, when I opened the .avi file in Windows XP, it doesn't play in PowerPoint or in the DivX player. I thought there may be some incompatibility in the file made in Ubuntu, so I tried to convert the .ogv file to .avi or .wmv in Windows XP. I tried several software including ffmpeg and WinFF for Windows but the resulted file's quality is very bad. In the end, what worked is converting the .avi file I made in Ubuntu to .wmv using WinFF.

No comments :

Post a Comment