Saturday 27 August 2011

Remote Accessing Ubuntu Desktop

Today my Macbook Pro didn't boot up with stripes on the initial gray screen. I took it to the Apple Store and the technician told me that it is a specific failure on the Main Logic Board. However the replacement is covered even thought it is already out of warranty, so I don't need to pay anything for the replacement. :D

But I'll be without my laptop for 5-7 days. :( I have a Chrome notebook with Ubuntu installed on it, but I'm afraid it's going to be laggy if I run Eclipse on it, so I looked into remote accessing my desktop in my lab. I tried the default Remote Desktop Viewer application that came with Ubuntu, but it didn't work: my notebook doesn't refresh the screen after I clicked something on the remote display. I also tried the guide on using x11vnc, but was also out of luck. I used TightVNC's vncviewer. It asked for a password and I wasn't sure what password to use. I tried a few, but all failed.

Finally, I installed the NX free edition and client and it works pretty well. The installation and configuration are very easy too.

No comments :

Post a Comment